F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 15:58:11 UTC 2013

On 07/11/2013 08:47 AM, Till Maas wrote:
> IMHO it is also not that easy to get something going with ARM on Fedora.
> For example I bought a Sheeva-ARM devices to get upstream release
> monitoring running on it . But even when I got it installed,
> the device crashed with a kernel soft lockup.

BZ#?

 > Now the devices are no
> longer supported. I got a RPi (from the hardware summer of fun) with the
> same intent, but until today it is not properly supported and won't.

Never been supported by Fedora ARM for lack of upstream kernel and
firmware license issues.  It's a Seneca College remix, but AFAIK it
works great:

http://pidora.ca/

 > In
> the meantime I bought a Cubieboard, no luck here as well. Since the
> Cubieboard remix even requires HDMI output and does not work headless, I
> did not try it because if missing HDMI hardware.

Never been supported by Fedora ARM for lack of upstream kernel.  That
might change in the next release as the upstream is coming along.

 > Also all the Fedora ARM
> efforts usually require to dd some images instead of just allowing to
> run a textmode anaconda via serial or some other installer, which just
> feels quirky.

F19 on ARM supports interactive anaconda installs over serial.  Or vnc
installs if you want graphics.  Or kickstart installs if you want
automation.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com