F20 Self Contained Change: Application Installer

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 16:59:42 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-07-11 at 16:38 +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> >> = Proposed Self Contained Change: Application Installer =
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/AppInstaller
>
> >> To improve some problematic aspects of the updates user experience
> >> (long waits, locks), we will use the new hawkey backend for
> >> PackageKit.
> > (echo issue with a different backend that Toshio had)
>
> I haven't seen Toshio's mail, so I apologize for possible redundancy:
>
> From an earlier FESCo decision
> https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/669#comment:24 :
> > The RPM package installation GUI that is installed by default should use the same dependency solver/backend as the non-GUI default.
>
> Is this Change implicitly asking FESCo to revoke this requirement?

Yes, if you want to put it that way. We want to use a backend that can
supported the desired user experience.

The hawkey stack is groomed to replace yum anyway. All we're asking is
that we can use it early, so we can provide the testing exposure they
need and ensure that hawkey does actually support the things we need.

Without that, there's a very real danger that hawkey/dnf end up
producing a perfect copy of yum (including all of the problems)...