F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 18:06:04 UTC 2013

On 07/11/2013 02:04 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
> <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Each sub-community ( be it spins be it various arch ) should need to provide
>> the necessary QA/Releng resources from their sub-community ( if no such
>> thing the relevant party needs to build one )
> That would be interesting and quite possibly very beneficial, however
> the transition from the current system when most people "don't need to
> care" would be a complex, longer-term cultural shift that shouldn't be
> (and doesn't really need to be) a blocker for the ARM feature.

Right the biggest one being the old outdated mindset that got created in
the birth of the distribution when the packageset was only fraction of
what it is today is the biggest hurdle to overcome as well as changing
the mindset of those that think Fedora is nothing more then "Gnome 3
  with custom wallpaper" and try to force that vision upon all
architecture,sub-communities and their users.

This most definitely is not something we would achieve over night but is
more something that will take us few release cycle to implement.

I dont argue that this should be a blocker for architectures quite the
opposite as far as I see it the only requirement for an architecture to
be come a "primary" ( thou arguably those are outdated concepts as well
) is that all package currently build ( with the execption if they
simply cannot work on a spesific architecture ) and be available for the
community to use as lego bricks to shape and present to the world as
they image in for that relevant hw.

JBG