F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 18:21:30 UTC 2013

On 07/11/2013 08:46 AM, Till Maas wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 07:48:50AM -0400, Jonathan Masters wrote:
>> And following the legitimate concerns about stack-protector this was raised by ARM into core Linaro as an urgent action for which engineering resource is being assigned to correct this deficiency ASAP. Thus within a day an issue has been noted that we were unaware of and is being worked through a process to correct it, as would be the case with any deficiency on x86. The stack protection stuff will be fixed. Let's bike shed over the next nitpick nuance that the anti-ARM crowd want to throw in the way ;)
>
> Was the flag ignored previously or why was this missing feature not
> announced?

Please see:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-July/185106.html

Per Carlos's email, the flag is not ignored, the feature is there, but
it isn't as fully featured.  Specifically stack guards are present but
pointer guards are not.  This was news to all of us.  It's disappointing
that the issue was not brought to the ARM team's attention prior to the
F20 promotion discussion being introduced.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com