F20 Self Contained Change: SDDM as the default KDE DM

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 20:00:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-07-10 at 20:03 +0200, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> = Proposed Self Contained Change: SDDM as the default KDE display manager
> instead of KDM =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/SDDMinsteadOfKDM
>
> Change owner(s): Martin Briza <mbriza at redhat.com> and KDE SIG
>
> Retire KDM as the default display manager of the KDE Fedora Spin in favor of
> SDDM.
>
> == Detailed description ==
> As described in many articles and discussions, KDM is nearing its end of life
> and it's time we decided upon the successor.
>
> I'm proposing to switch to SDDM, which is a new project that suits our needs
> perfectly despite its immaturity:

Fine, but can we please have this done *soon*? Ideally, the packages
could already have been created in Rawhide long ago, and this would be a
swap. But please at least have it in place for Alpha TC1. It's a pain
dealing with DM changes during release cycles.

> * Change kde-settings and the spin-kickstarts to provide SDDM package instead
> of KDM

You will need to change comps, not spin-kickstarts.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey