Rawhide: glibc, ldconfig, and community-mysql-libs, oh my

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Thu Jul 11 21:44:37 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 01:46:26PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-07-11 at 22:43 +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 01:37:45PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > Would anyone care to take a guess at what the hell is going on here?
> > >
> > > [adamw at adam ~]$ sudo yum update
> > > (snip)
> > > Error: Package: community-mysql-libs-5.5.32-6.fc20.x86_64 (@rawhide)
> > >            Requires: /usr/sbin/ldconfig
> > >            Removing: glibc-2.17.90-3.fc20.x86_64 (@fedora/rawhide)
> > >                Not found
> > >            Updated By: glibc-2.17.90-4.fc20.x86_64 (rawhide)
> > >                Not found
> > >
> > > What the fracking hell? Why is yum apparently okay with -3 but not okay
> > > with -4 even though their provides are identical? And why is this
> > > suddenly popping up now?
> >
> >   Answer to the second part: because 3 days ago commynity-mysql was fixed
> > to require ldconfig in /usr:
> > http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/community-mysql.git/commit/?id=56c556f1555b88c391e70632184018e31852e884
> >
> > And glibc somehow only provides ldconfig in /sbin.  I got bitten by this
> > few weeks ago (had to revert to running /sbin/ldconfig instead of /usr/sbin/ldconfig)
>
> But then why does yum check not apparently perceive a problem with the
> current state - where glibc -3 is installed, which differs in its
> provides/requires *not at all* from -4? Why did that
> community-mysql-libs package install just fine here?

It is the incomplete UsrMove again. When glibc is installed, both
/sbin/ldconfig and /usr/sbin/ldconfig exist, because of the /sbin ->
/usr/sbin symlink. Therefore the /usr/sbin/ldconfig dependency is
fulfilled. If you update glibc, the file would be removed temporarily
and I guess yum notices that this affects both paths, but it does not
know that the update will provide both paths (due to UsrMove) again,
therefore the dependency is not fulfilled from yum's POV.

Regards
Till