F20 System Wide Change: Enable kdump on secureboot machines

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 22:46:42 UTC 2013

On 11 July 2013 13:10, Vivek Goyal <vgoyal at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 12:42:16PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
> [..]

> disk
> the
> > >
> > > Is your root encrypted? USB should have worked. Otherwise try dumping
> > > to NFS partition. Or ssh the dump out to a different machine. All of
> > > these should work.
> > >

> > The USB was the ones I tried but couldn't get to work correctly.  NFS and
> > SSH were not going to work because the problem is with RHEL-5 talking
> over
> > the bridge and my laptop has wireless.
>
> [ I am ccing devel list again. So that if people have ideas about how
>   to get serial console on laptop, that will help ]
>
> What do you mean by "NFS and SSH were not going to work because the problem
> is with RHEL-5 talking over the bridge"?

Well the system hard crashes the laptop when I am on wireless. I expect
that this is an untested scenario and since most of the time I am sitting
on some cafe's wireless trying to push 8 GB of dump to somewhere would not
be the most useful way to try.

> I have never tested kdump with wireless. As I always tried to make these
> work on servers and always assumed etherhnet connectivity is there.
>
> Anyway, USB case is interesting. I have to admin I have never tried
> dumping to USB disk either. But in theory it should work.

I tried USB direct dump and USB ext3. kdump said it could see the USB disk
in the logs and then nothing would get written.

> Right now it does not work with encrypted disks. Given the fact that
> dumping to root disk is easiest on a laptop, I think it is reasonable
> to try to make it work with encrypted disks.

I really can't see a way to do encrypted disks in a secure way. Basically
everything I thought of required it have the password stored somewhere
which is wrong on many levels. So I don't mind having to have an
unencrypted space.

> > This did not happen. The system froze completely.
>
> We need to have serial console to debug things here. Without console we
> have no idea where things might have gone wrong.

Sadly the laptop is USB only so I am not sure if this will be possible. I
will defer to someone with a lot more hardware knowledge but I was under
the assumption that unless I had a UART any console hooked up would really
be a "software" versus "hardware" console and so data sent to it went
through a lot of corruptible stacks :/. [Ah for a nice old x86 with UART.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.