F20 Self Contained Change: Application Installer

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 18:33:19 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Miloslav Trmač <mitr at volny.cz> wrote:
> I haven't seen Toshio's mail, so I apologize for possible redundancy:

Yeah, sorry, I got caught in the replying-to-docs-list trap.  here's
what I had written (mostly the same as you but I also flagged things
that I thought could push this into system-wide change territory):

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 01:02:24PM +0200, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> * Replace gpkg-update-viewer
> * Include a hawkey backend in PackageKit and use it

These two in combination make this a system-wide change.  Current policy is
that:

"The RPM package installation GUI that is installed by default should use
the same dependency solver/backend as the non-GUI default."

https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/669#comment:24

So we'd need to move to hawkey for the non-GUI default as well.  Is the
packaging team ready to make that shift for F20?

A shift to replace (as opposed to supplementing) a package-centric view to
an application-centric view might also be a system-wide change.  I think
I incline towards this still being a self-contained change as the non-GUI
offering will continue to be package-centric (so it's supplementing) but
I could be convinced otherwise.

-Toshio