Release an rpm with a lower version than the existing one

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 14:52:51 UTC 2013

> On 07/12/2013 08:35 AM, Alejandro Alvarez Ayllon wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Not so long ago I took over an rpm called dpm-dsi, being the released
>> version 1.9.0.
>> The release of that version was decided by upstream.
>>
>> However, now upstream has decided to deprecate 1.9.0 for the moment
>> being, since they
>> consider it not stable enough. And they want to release an 1.8.* version.
>>
>> So my question is: can I build and push to updates a lower version of an
>> existing rpm,
>> and overwrite the existing one?

How long is upstream planning on deprecating it? If they've got a
1.9.1 in the works coming out in 2 weeks, I'd consider just waiting.

Similar things happened with Samba and KDE and gcc  at various points
in Fedora and RHEL history: New releases were tagged as "samba4" or
"gcc4", and the original version left in place with the new versions
given different package names. When the new versions became the system
defaults, with a new release, *then* they were released with package
names like "gcc-4.*" or "samba-3.*", and obsoleted the old package.

It doesn't solve your current issue, but it might help if you need to
maintain parallel versions with different API's for a while.