F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Mon Jul 15 12:46:18 UTC 2013

> But anyway, I'd still like to hear the technical reasoning for the
> opinion you expressed.

Because you are able to read txt file with *anything*. But you are not
always able to read binary files. Because journalctl is not available.

Example from real life:
Sometimes it happen to me, that I'm fixing totally borked computer. And
I have available only what is in memory - because HDD with /usr crashed,
but machine is still running (and /var is readable) and with vt open.
(BTW - coincidently it happened to me just one month ago).
If I want to read last messages, I could not start journactl, but I can
read /var/log/messages with bash builtins.

And since I'm not always choosing which machine I'm going to fixing, I
would prefer that /var/log/messages is present as text file as default.

If somebody explicitly want to remove rsyslog and live only with
journalctl, then let it be. And I do not care about other logs, they can
be in binary forms, if you want. But I want to have /var/log/messages
available in pure text form.

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat, Software Engineer