F20 System Wide Change: SSD cache

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Mon Jul 15 13:29:42 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 09:17:56AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 5:56 AM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> > = Proposed System Wide Change: SSD cache =
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/SSD_cache
>
> > Release engineering: All packages should operate in close harmony te make this
> > work. Only a rebuild of the relevant packages is required.
>
> This doesn't make sense.  We're doing a mass rebuild, so all packages
> are getting rebuild anyway.
>
> I'm confused what this Change is actually for.  It doesn't sound like
> an actual planned and targeted set of changes.  It seems more of a
> nebulous "we should get people to do this" proposal.

  Yes, I would *guess* it involves:
- modifing anaconda to allow cache device designation during installation
  (this is more important with bcache, as it needs special formatting;
   dm-cache can be disabled/enabled on the fly)
- modify dracut to properly attach bcache in initramfs
- integrate dm-cache handling with local-fs.target
- finishing SSD caching layer for btrfs
- (...) ?

--
Tomasz Torcz                 Morality must always be based on practicality.
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl                -- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen