F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Jul 15 14:14:35 UTC 2013

On Mon, 15.07.13 15:05, Peter Robinson (pbrobinson at gmail.com) wrote:

> >> Proposal owners: Commit a change to "comps" to remove "sendmail" from it.
> >>
> >> Other developers: logwatch/logcheck might need updating to not require an MTA
> >> for delivering log changes. Some packages might need a dependency on
> >> "server(smtp)" added.
> >
> > I'd like understand how cronjobs deliver his emails , to root user ?
>
> By default the mail is sent to the local user and that will be with
> the local MDA which is procmail (even used by sendmail) and I don't
> believe that's being removed as part of this.

Humm, no. MDAs are invoked by the local MTA. If you have no local MTA,
then the local MDA is never invoked.

This feature is about not doign local mail delivery by default, by not
installing any MTA. Instead you find the log output of cronjobs at the
same place as you find any other log output, the journal/syslog, for
example accessible via:

journalctl -u crond

or

systemctl status crond

(the latter will only show you 10 log lines by default, the former all
of them. You can pass "-n 100" to either to see the 100 latest ones)

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.