F20 Self Contained Change: Application Installer

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Mon Jul 15 15:07:49 UTC 2013

On 15. 7. 2013 at 07:47:06, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> [...]

Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. Obviously there would be a
"problem" with both programs offering different combinations of packages in some
cases. But combined with the fact that the use case/target group of users
(applications vs. packages) is different for both, I don't think it would be
that much of an issue.

Back to my original comment, switching your SW Management application is a
painful process and I seriously doubt it can be done completely at once -
consider depending pieces like plugins, Anaconda and PK. Therefore I was
hoping for incremental adoption where possible. With that in mind, the optimal
solution from my perspective would be to implement hawkey backend in PK and
let it coexist with current yum backend until yum is replaced by dnf. Another
option would be to make the new PK (or just the backend if possible) optional
for now and make it default together with dnf replacing yum. However I
strongly suspect that neither of these two proposals are acceptable for
Richard.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Jan