F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Jul 15 16:44:15 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 12:27 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> Even in less extreme situations than this, it's a fair point that often one
> can't run binaries from the system where you need to look at the logs, and
> needing special tools (rather than just any viewer or editor) to analyze
> those logs _is_ increased pain. Now you need a systemd-aware rescue image,
> not just a tinylinux livecd that's kicking around the server room

Personally the situation I've found myself in most often is trying to
debug a VM guest from a RHEL6 host.  I'm able to mount the guest
filesystem offline with libguestfs, but having something just a journal
viewer backported to EPEL would be pretty neat.

What I've been doing mostly instead to debug early boot problems is
adding systemd.log_target=kmsg to the console and redirecting the
console to a file.