F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Mon Jul 15 17:48:24 UTC 2013

On 15.07.2013 11:11, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> On 07/15/2013 10:44 AM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
>> = Proposed System Wide Change: No Default Syslog =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NoDefaultSyslog
>>
>> Change owner(s): Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering net>, Matthew
>> Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject org>
>>
>> No longer install a traditional syslog service by default.
>> (Specifically,
>> remove rsyslog from the @core or @standard groups in comps.)
>>
>> The systemd journal will be the default logging solution. Rsyslog,
>> Syslog-NG,
>> and even traditional sysklogd will continue to cover use cases
>> outside of the
>> default.
>
> My voice may be one of thousands, but I'm saying: I want to have
> traditional syslog service as default and have journal from systemd as
> option.

Maybe Fedora developers can arrange some simple survey. Only one
question: do you know what is journalctl and what's it's purpose? If
more than 50% of users (sysadmins, developers and others) answers "yes",
than maybe it's time to switch. Six out of nine of my colleagues which
do server administration haven't even heard of new syslogd replacement.
They just don't care right now.

Mateusz Marzantowicz