F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Jul 15 18:01:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, 15.07.13 13:53, Matthew Miller (mattdm at fedoraproject.org) wrote:

> If we're going to do a survey, I can think of bigger questions to ask than
> that. :) But, in any case, this is certainly not the way Fedora is supposed
> to operate.
>
> Change for its own sake isn't good, and I have had my share of frustrations
> with systemd and some degree of pain with journald growing pains too, but,
> from the page describing Fedora's mission, " The Fedora Project always
> strives to lead, not follow."

(Just to mention this: we are neither the pioneer on the
no-default-syslog feature nor on no-default-sendmail... A lot of other
distros stopped installing an MTA by default a long time ago --
including Ubuntu since 2007 or so -- and some others have switched to
only-journal mode already too -- for example ArchLinux

So, we are just following on these ones, on the sendmail thing even with
a 6 year lag...)

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.