F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Jul 15 18:09:46 UTC 2013

Brendan Conoboy (blc at redhat.com) said:
> On 07/11/2013 12:37 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> >Well, as I said (and you cut out)
> >I do know what some people want ARM to be in terms of dense
> >hypserscale servers (32/64-bit)... but the community that would be using
> >Fedora ARM does seem to be targeting a wider array than that.
> >
> >The F19 ARM release released 5 desktop images. You seem to be arguing that
> >the required featureset of ARM as a primary arch should only be for headless
> >deployment, but the ARM community itself is saying otherwise.
>
> Interests differ between participants.  If this was the only
> objection to moving ARM to the primary build system I would say
> let's drop graphics from official Fedora ARM support for the
> purposes of the move and make all graphical images respins or
> remixes.

If I'm understanding you, you would prefer that ARM be blessed with the
stamp of being a 'primary' arch at the cost of dropping release targets,
images, and featuresets that are made by and for the community now.

I don't think I can support that - it seems awfully unfriendly to the
community that exists now.

Bill