F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Eric Smith brouhaha at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 15 18:10:11 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> (Just to mention this: we are neither the pioneer on the
> no-default-syslog feature nor on no-default-sendmail... A lot of other
> distros stopped installing an MTA by default a long time ago --
> including Ubuntu since 2007 or so -- and some others have switched to
> only-journal mode already too -- for example ArchLinux
>
> So, we are just following on these ones, on the sendmail thing even with
> a 6 year lag...)

I can see advantages to not having an MTA by default, but I don't see
the advantage in not having /var/log/messages.  I don't want to have
to use special tools in place of a text editor, grep, etc.  As I said
elsewhere, I don't care whether /var/log/messages is written by syslog
or by systemd, but the default should still be to provide it.  It's
fine by me if the default is to generate a binary journal IN ADDITION
to /var/log/messages.

Eric