F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Jul 15 18:27:24 UTC 2013

On Jul 15, 2013, at 9:55 AM, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:

> "tail -f /var/log/messages" becomes "journalctl -f"

It's so useful I would like this a default during anaconda installations in one of the shells.

> journalctl makes a lot of things easier, much easier. If you say it is
> complex or difficult to use I am pretty sure you never had a closer look
> at it.

I find it quite a bit easier to use and have disabled rsyslog as part of my new setup procedure since F18; but that's only after using journalctl and messages side by side for a while and finding, so far, that journalctl contains more information but is easier to filter than messages.

>> Lets try to keep things simple. This is why we use Fedora. This is why I
>> use Fedora.
>
> We are certainly making things simpler by introducing nice query tools
> like journalctl and by reducing the number of packages we install by
> default, and by removing redundancy.

I think the simple reference is in regards to the implied rewiring of biomatter that'll be needed to drop rsyslog.

Chris Murphy