F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 15 20:32:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 03:07:43PM -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> that's new and interesting. AIUI pre-journal, the default was to
> sync() on every message for some logs (and overrriden with a hyphen
> for some logs). Am I wrong?

Yes. Or rather, your are not wrong, but this ship left the harbor with the
switch to rsyslog, which doesn't sync unless $ActionFileEnableSync is on --
and we ship with it at the default, which is off. (And, I believe that it
doesn't sync at all; the journald default is more conservative.)

> Heading offtopic: Are there ways to control sync on a per-service
> basis? Or to trigger a sync on things like authentication failures,
> OOM shootouts, or kernel oopses?

On the other hand, rsyslog _does_ have the ability to turn it on in a fine
grained way like this, and that does seem like a useful feature.