F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Eric Smith brouhaha at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 15 21:07:41 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> I just want to look at the file without having to learn to type journalctl
> isn't very compelling to me, even though I do recognize the change cost.
>
> However, the diagnostic value of an easily-accessible /var/log/messages is
> pretty high

How are those two statements not contradictory?  Either an
easily-accessible /var/log/messages is of high value, or it isn't.

> and I think there are real use cases there. I'm not convinced
> that this needs to be at the minimal level, though, and I'm not sure it
> should be the default for the desktop case, either.
>
> And, in other cases, you're probably customizing your package install set
> anyway, right? (And, probably logging to a remote host.)

On the desktop is exactly where I think it's important to keep
/var/log/messages.  On servers it is expected that sysadmins will do a
lot of unique configuration.

Eric