F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Mon Jul 15 21:38:14 UTC 2013

On 15.07.2013 23:06, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> It's a matter of finding the right balance: i.e. what can be text
> files, and where we have to win more by making it binary. I am pretty
> sure this is a case where we win more by sticking to binary files.
> It's totally fine if you disagree on this, but I'd still like to ask
> you to think about whether your specific usecase and specific
> requirements are strong enough to (continue to) be the default for
> Fedora, instead of just being your local configuration of Fedora. I
> mean, you should never forget that on your own machines everything
> will stay as is: you will install syslog, and things will be exactly
> as before. Lennart

So maybe we (Fedora) should go with XML instead of binary or some
dedicated RDMBS for storing system logs? I'm not against binary log
format but try to understand why it's superior to text and also why
something more sophisticated isn't used if we really need this
additional meta data that could not be included in plain text?

Mateusz Marzantowicz