F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

Eric Smith brouhaha at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 15 21:44:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Robert Nichols
<rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net> wrote:
> So, all users on a multi-user system are now expected to dig through
> syslog output to see the output from their cron jobs?

A fair point, but in my experience the most common case is a
single-user system where the user doesn't even use cron.  I'm not sure
whether that's most common in general, but if it is, I think it's
acceptable to have installing an MTA as a manual step on a multiuser
system where there are user cron jobs.

Having the MTA installed by default on end-user systems I administer
has always been problematic, which is why I always remove it.  The
users I've supported have never gained any benefit from having a local
MTA, and normally their MUA points to a remote IMAP server, so they
wouldn't ever see local email.

Eric