F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Eric Smith brouhaha at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 15 21:51:17 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> But this specific usecase certainly warranted this, and the
> journal does deliver the requirements we cared for.

I'm sure it does.  But I think those requirements mainly apply to
servers and enterprise installations, not the average Fedora
installation.  For the most common use case, doing without
/var/log/messages just makes things more complicated for the user
and/or sysadmin.  I'm all for being able to get fancy binary journals
as a configurable option.  Or even by default, as long as it doesn't
take away also getting a text log by default as well.

Eric