F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Jul 15 21:53:37 UTC 2013

On Mon, 15.07.13 17:26, Jonathan Masters (jcm at redhat.com) wrote:

> >> The systemd journal will be the default logging solution. Rsyslog, Syslog-NG,
> >> and even traditional sysklogd will continue to cover use cases outside of the
> >> default.
> >
> > My voice may be one of thousands, but I'm saying: I want to have traditional syslog service as default and have journal from systemd as option.
>
> I concur. I have systems that live in a heterogeneous environment and
> need traditional syslog. By making it optional, it will ultimately
> die, forcing journal as the only viable option in a Fedora
> environment. This is IMO not net beneficial for downstream use cases
> later on either.

I figure by "making it optional" you actually mean "not installing it by default"?

What kind of logic is this? So everything that we don't install by
default dies? That is a very weird idea. There are tons of packages in
Fedora that are not installed by default and very healthy.

I mean, what's next, you suggest to install Apache or MariaDB by default
because otherwise "they die"?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.