F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 21:57:44 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM, Brendan Conoboy <blc at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 07/11/2013 10:41 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>>
>>> Kernel, glibc, all the core library stacks. And I would argue that yes,
>>> this
>>> *includes* libGL. So llvmpipe needs fixed, outside of any desktops.
>>> Should
>>> we define the core functionality better? Probably.
>>

>> I would argue that it does not include libGL because it's not a requirement
>> for headless deployment scenarios.  Why would you argue for it?
>
> I would argue that it's nothing to do with headless scenarios but more
> that the vast majority of ARM GPUs support GL-ES which is a
> sub/different standard of desktop GL (sorry, I'm not a graphics
> programming expert!) and the support for that in mesa and in general
> is terrible. There was a proposal to refactor mesa and when I spoke to
> ajax (I think, sorry ajax if it wasn't you) or someone it wasn't
> basically moving forward upstream at the moment. I'm not sure who
> originally was driving this (my google fu doesn't give me the mailing
> list proposal ATM).

It is getting a bit off the topic, but this it isn't really a problem
with mesa.  But rather that we have non-gallium closed src drivers
from the GPU vendors in the ARM space, which only support GLES.  And
most/all of the desktop stuff packaged in fedora (in particular,
gnome-shell) is requiring GL.

The desktop gallium mesa drivers, and also the intel mesa driver, all
seem to support both GL and GLES reasonably well..

>From a hw standpoint, while they may lack some features compared to
desktop GPU, I think all the current mobile GPUs should support enough
features in hardware to get gnome-shell running (possibly with some
driver tricks, for example in freedreno I have to emulate quads with
triangles).  It wouldn't be enough for passing any GL compliance
suite, but the requirements for gnome-shell are fairly basic.

BR,
-R