feature process [was Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog]

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 15 22:16:56 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 09:53:56PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> And honestly I dont understand why people are ack/nack-ing this
> since this is FESCO decision and actually with my QA hat on we could
> have been better prepared for this and worked to our advantage (
> instead of be dealing with potential breakage afterwards) and would
> have done so when I submitted [1] but apparently such work flow are
> forbidden by FESCO/FPC in the project.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with all of that. The entire
discussion of the previous proposal is at
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2012-03-19/fesco.2012-03-19-18.00.log.html
and I'm not seeing anything about a forbidden workflow.

I see

 - journald doesn't cover all rsyslog functionality; this time around the
   proposal talks about that as on purpose
 - Something about "project lumberjack", but that's based around a
   government project which is now dead: http://cee.mitre.org/
   And https://lists.fedorahosted.org/pipermail/lumberjack-developers/
   is likewise stagnant.
 - impact of change not explained thoroughly enough; hopefully that too is
   better now
 - "not thrilled" about binary log
 - "don't think it's worth the effort at this point. maybe in the future..."
 - and "yeah, -1 for now.  it just doesn't appear to be really ready yet."

I also had previously started a discussion about reasonable blockers for
making journald the default, and there was good progress on that (with many
of the things which came out as crucial crossed off the list). So the
situation is different from how it was, plus of course the code has had some
time time mature, all of which is why I agreed to sign on. (In addition to
it being useful for the cloud image use case.)