cloud images and journald/rsyslog

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 15 22:39:03 UTC 2013

I'm putting this in a separate thread so it doesn't get buried in the
enthusiasm over the other one. :)

Here's our dilemma (Or trilemma?) in the Fedora Cloud SIG.

1) Double-logging is a significant waste of scarce resources

2) If we disable persistent journald (the f19 approach), we lose the
   nice features that journalctl offers. And, they really are nice.

3) If we leave out rsyslog, we lose text /var/log/messages ...
   ... which is less of a big deal from the server-room emergency-analysis
       angle that might apply in the general case ...
   ... but it's a pretty big change from the rest of Fedora, and we'd
       prefer not to do that just for the cloud image.

So, it'd be nice to at least have rsyslogd moved from @core to @standard
(from minimal to default).

I'm also pretty well sold on the idea that journald is better on the
desktop. But that's not my thing.

On the server, I don't think I've _ever_ run a serious system where I didn't
have a custom syslog configuration (be it sysklogd, rsyslog, or syslog-ng).
I absolutely don't think that will go away. (And on those systems, generally
I don't look in /var/log/messages anymore anyway.)