F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Mon Jul 15 23:53:10 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 06:39:59PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek at in.waw.pl> said:
> > On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 05:43:43PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > > No, the "bug" is journalctl, not less.  If I run "journalctl | less", I
> > > get wrapped lines.  If I run "journalctl", I get truncated lines
> > > (despite your repeated claims to the contrary).
> > [At least in default configuration] you can switch between "truncated"
> > and "non-truncated" output by pressing -S<ENTER>, or view the "truncated"
> > part by pressing right arrow. If you're seeing something different,
> > then please file a bug (against less, because journalctl doesn't really
> > do anything other than popen("less") here). For reference, try pressing
> > 'h' in less, I see:
>
> Actually, journalctl DOES do something other than popen("less"); it
> overrides the user's $LESS and sets it to "FRSXMK" (the S option tells
> less to chop lines).  So while technically journalctl is not chopping
> lines, it is forcing less to do so.  A user's $LESS should not be
> overridden, especially to chop log lines.
Sure, those are the defaults. If you had written that you don't like
the systemd defaults, instead of talking about "bugs", this whole
conversation would have been much productive.

The default was picked as is, after some back-and-forth, because this
way it much easier to browse through a long listing. You can always
change *your* default by sticking
  export SYSTEMD_PAGER='less -FRX -+S'
in your .bashrc or wherever.

> Another thing that I don't see in the man page is why some lines are
> bold/in color.
error -> red, notice -> bold, etc.
It's a feature you don't get traditionally because syslog drops the
priority information from the on-disk format.

Zbyszek
--
they are not broken. they are refucktored
                           -- alxchk