cloud images and journald/rsyslog

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Tue Jul 16 00:52:29 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 07:27:57PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> said:
> > Well, the duplicate log files will be accounted for every instance of a
> > container/VM. The more containers you run, the more often you pay for
> > it. This is different than just having one package installed too much in
> > the image, which can be shared among instances. Written log files cannot.
>
> If it isn't too much of a thread-drift - this brings to mind another
> question: how are the journal files rotated, archived, etc.?  I don't
> see anything in the man page.
The total space taken by journal is limited by size and percantage of
free space on the /var/log/journal filesystem [1], and age
[2]. Individual journal files are limited by size and age [3,4].

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/journald.conf.html#SystemMaxUse=
[2] http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/journald.conf.html#MaxRetentionSec=
[3] http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/journald.conf.html#MaxFileSec=
[4] http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/journald.conf.html#SystemMaxUse= (SystemMaxFileSize setting).

Zbyszek

--
they are not broken. they are refucktored
                           -- alxchk