F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Tue Jul 16 01:36:17 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 07:26:15PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek at in.waw.pl> said:
> > Sure, those are the defaults. If you had written that you don't like
> > the systemd defaults, instead of talking about "bugs", this whole
> > conversation would have been much productive.
>
> When I described the behavior, I was told I was wrong and that the lines
> weren't chopped (which I then wondered why there was a "--full" option).
> Neither the documentation or the emails mentioned that journalctl
> overrides $LESS with the option to chop lines; I only found that out by
> tracing the process.
The UI is to a large degree a child of the git UI, I have to admit I
find it self-explanatory. But I can see how one wouldn't think of
pressing the right arrow, if one was convinced that jouranlctl has
truncated the lines. An explanatory paragraph has been added to
journalctl(1).

> > > Another thing that I don't see in the man page is why some lines are
> > > bold/in color.
> > error -> red, notice -> bold, etc.
>
> Which Lennart said should be documented in the man page, which is now on
> the to-do list.
Also done. Both changes are online [1], and should be available
in the next Fedora rawhide package.

> > It's a feature you don't get traditionally because syslog drops the
> > priority information from the on-disk format.
>
> I'd expect that if somebody thought that was an important default, the
> log format would have been updated years ago when rsyslog became the
> default.
Not without (a) breaking scripts, (b) annoying people, because precious
screen estate would be wasted on markers for the log level.

Zbyszek
--
they are not broken. they are refucktored
                           -- alxchk