F20 Self Contained Change: Ruby on Rails 4.0

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Tue Jul 16 06:59:11 UTC 2013

Dne 15.7.2013 18:31, Bill Nottingham napsal(a):
> Jaroslav Reznik (jreznik at redhat.com) said:
>> = Proposed Self Contained Change: Ruby on Rails 4.0 =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Ruby_on_Rails_4.0
>>
>> Change owner(s): Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com>, Josef Stříbný
>> <jstribny at redhat.com>, ruby-sig at lists.fedoraproject.org
>>
>> Ruby on Rails 4.0 is the latest version of well know web framework written in
>> Ruby.
>>
>> == Detailed description ==
>> The Ruby on Rails stack is evolving quickly and Fedora needs to keep pace with
>> it. Therefore the whole Ruby on Rails stack should be updated from 3.2 in
>> Fedora 19 to 4.0 (latest version) in Fedora 20. This will ensure that all the
>> Ruby developers using Fedora have the latest and greatest RPM-packaged Ruby on
>> Rails.
>>
>> == Scope ==
>> Proposal owners:
>> * The whole Rails stack has to be updated
>> * New additional gems will have to be packaged
>> * Some dependencies of the Rails stack will need update
> Does this work for users of Rails currently in Fedora, or will those
> packages need upgraded/ported as well?
>
> Bill

There is plenty of rubygem-*-rails packages in Fedora. We will try to
ensure, that all these works. There is currently no Rails application in
Fedora to my knowledge.

Nevertheless, some functionality previously available in Rails was
deprecated and extracted into separate gems. Not sure if it is worth of
importing all these packages into Fedora, since the code is considered
legacy by RoR upstream. Therefore, there is chance that application
using RoR on F19 will *not* survive upgrade to F20 without modifications.

Vít