F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Jul 16 11:33:44 UTC 2013

On Tue, 16.07.13 02:27, Ding Yi Chen (dchen at redhat.com) wrote:

> And you want to do the system wide search and replace all the  3rd party programs,
> scripts, and documents that mentioned /var/log/messages?
>
> Even if you do, you cannot change the exist tutorial, blog, and forums that
> refer /var/log/messages.
>
> Image the following scenario:
> Suppose a Fedora newbie (or linux newbie) encounters a problem,
> most of the search results state: Check /var/log/messages
>
> He/She will be very frustrated if he/she cannot find it.

Well, that's an excuse to *never* change anything because docs might need
updating.

Note that the feature includes that we add in a README file to /var/log/
which explains the situation and suggests the command lines to get the
logs with journalctl.

We were in a very similar spot for /etc/r.d/init.d, which is empty now,
with some exceptions. There we also added a README explaining the
situation.

Documentation issues should be treated as documentation issues:
i.e. document changes in the release notes, ship the necessary man pages
and add helpful help texts to the places people would looking for the
original stuff we replaced.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.