F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 16 14:41:24 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 02:27:24AM -0400, Ding Yi Chen wrote:
> And you want to do the system wide search and replace all the  3rd party programs,
> scripts, and documents that mentioned /var/log/messages?

http://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=%2Fvar%2Flog%2Fmessages

Bam! Done! :)

> Even if you do, you cannot change the exist tutorial, blog, and forums that
> refer /var/log/messages.

Sure. There's a change cost.

> Image the following scenario:
> Suppose a Fedora newbie (or linux newbie) encounters a problem,
> most of the search results state: Check /var/log/messages
> He/She will be very frustrated if he/she cannot find it.

One suggestion I've heard is to write this line:

Jan  1 00:00:00 localhost root: Run `journalctl` to see log data in /var/log/messages-compatible format

But I'm not sure that's really a good idea. The plan calls for putting a
README file in /var/log.