F20 Self Contained Change: Plasma-nm

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Jul 16 14:55:22 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 12:52 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 13:25 +0200, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > = Proposed Self Contained Change: Plasma-nm =
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Plasma-nm
> >
> > Change owner(s): Jan Grulich <jgrulich at redhat.com>, Lukáš Tinkl
> > <ltinkl at redhat.com>
> >
> > Replace current network applet in KDE with a new one and bring the latest news
> > in NetworkManager to KDE.
> >
> > == Detailed description ==
> > Plasma-nm is a new plasma applet for network management in KDE which uses the
> > latest KDE technologies. It supports all connection types from NetworkManager
> > like bonding, bridging etc.
>
> ... and all types of VPN?

One thing we're going to be working on upstream is a more agnostic way
for VPN plugins to present their configuration UI, since there are
multiple things that need this information, including command-line
programs.  I'm not sure yet how that will get presented, but likely in
some form of UI description files that can be easily parsed by whatever
UI you've got and the widgets reconstructed.  We've come to the point
where it's increasingly hard to keep duplicating the UI logic every time
updated UI happens.  This would ideally help the KDE folks too as they
wouldn't have to write completely new VPN UI for each plugin.

Dan