F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Jul 16 16:42:42 UTC 2013

On Tue, 16.07.13 18:09, Till Maas (opensource at till.name) wrote:

> > > You only need to add or subtract hours and minutes from the local time,
> > > because ISO 8601 dates contain the UTC offset:

> > Well, we can certainly add support for such numeric timezone specs
> > (added to the TODO list), but I have my doubts that this is actually
> > what people want to use in their day-to-day use, given that the numbers
> > are hard to remember.
>
> Thank you.
>
> > I am pretty sure that most folks would like to specify symbolic timezone
> > names, but that's hard to do due to lack of APIs for that, and the
> > non-uniqueness of the names.
>
> I guess for most use cases using the local time zone is enough.
>
> Btw. can journalctl output ISO 8601 dates instead of the US formated
> date without a year? I really expected journalctl to cleanup this as
> well.

In the default output we stay true to the formatting that has been used
in /var/log/messages since always.

We currently do not use the ISO date format anywhere, it's not really
readable, I think. Great way to serialize dates, recurring and duration
events to ascii strings for computers to read, but not really for
humans.

Note that in all other places we tend to use date format like this: "Tue
2013-07-16 18:41:57 CEST" Which is close to ISO, but not ISO.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.