F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Jul 16 18:01:09 UTC 2013

Brendan Conoboy (blc at redhat.com) said:
> On 07/15/2013 11:09 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> >If I'm understanding you, you would prefer that ARM be blessed with the
> >stamp of being a 'primary' arch at the cost of dropping release targets,
> >images, and featuresets that are made by and for the community now.
>
> I wouldn't put it like that.  The ARM team isn't asking for a
> blessing, we're asking to have builds that block ARM also block x86.
> At a technical level, that is a fundamental part of what being
> primary is. Yes, there are other aspects, both practical (what is
> released) and philosophical (What is Fedora).  It's the next logical
> step.  If not now, when?  When libGL is ready to go?

... when someone fixes it?

> >I don't think I can support that - it seems awfully unfriendly to the
> >community that exists now.
>
> You are proceeding from a misconception: This is a thought exercise-
> If ARM devices didn't have graphics would it still be essential for
> PA promotion that libGL for ARM work and be accelerated?  There is
> no proposal to throw out the baby or the bathwater.  This is about
> defining the threshold at which point armv7hl gets built along side
> i686 and x86_64.

And I'm saying that threshold should be that the major libraries work. That
includes libGL.

After all, IT WORKS ON S390. This is not a high bar, and I wouldn't consider
it a requirement for that arch.

Sure, the hardware you care about doesn't include graphics. But the hardware
the community cares about does.

Bill