F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Jul 16 18:32:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, 16.07.13 12:19, Kevin Fenzi (kevin at scrye.com) wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 20:09:19 +0200
> Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:

> > > How do you turn this off?  Overriding user configuration can be
> > > extremely annoying to users, but if there's an easy well-documented
> > > way to turn off overriding, it's easier to deal with.
> >
> > Set $SYSTEMD_PAGE to the pager of your choice along with any command
> > line arguments you like.
>
> This is a bit anoying for a lot of uses as permissions only allow root
> (or the 'adm' group), so many people would use sudo with their journal
> commands.
>
> BTW, should we change 'adm' to 'wheel' to match our other admin group?

The files are owned by the group "systemd-journal" now. If you want to
grant a user access to the system journals and nothing else, add him/her
to this group.

Via file system ACLs the groups "adm" and "wheel" also get read access
to the journal files, "adm" being more a group of "folks who can see but
not do", and "wheel" being a group of folks "who can see and do". Of
course, wheel and adm might enable you to see and do much more than just
granting access to the system journals.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.