F20 System Wide Change: Change Packaging Guidelines to discourage requires into /bin and /sbin

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 19:18:40 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 04:46:26PM +0200, Jan Zelený wrote:
> On 16. 7. 2013 at 13:57:02, Björn Persson wrote:
> > > Related FPC ticket [1]: FPC wanted this change to be created.
> >
> > Oh really?
> >
> > > [1] https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/314
> >
> > In that ticket I see one FPC member being for and two being against
> > the change.
>
> Yeah, the original message from Ales was incorrect. It was FESCO that
> recommended this change to be created so it can be discussed more widely. We
> certainly don't want to go around FPC or anything.

With my FPC hat on, thanks!

> Note that we don't necessarily insist on this change to be implemented. Ales
> was just pointing out that there is a potential problem caused by leftovers of
> /usr move. What to do with the information is up to you.

<nod>  I think that the best course of action would to rethink UsrMove as
UsrMerge which I would then take to the rest of the FPC as getting rid of
the prohibition on packages listing /bin, /sbin/ lib, /lib64 as the location
in the file.  The caveats of package maintainers having to think in terms of
the dependencies and canonical locations instead of whether it was symlinked
on the path on their own system would still apply.

Posible alternatives for FPC to consider if FESCo decides we really want to
think in terms of /usr/{bin,sbin,[..]} being the canonical correct place and
in the distant future, /bin might go away:

* Have package maintainers patch upstreams to use /usr/{bin,lib,[..]}
  instead of /{bin,lib[...]} (for instance, shebang lines)
* Have packages which traditionally provide /{bin,sbin,possibly lib but
  I can't think of something in /lib that's actually causing breakage}
  create Virtual Provides for those older file paths.  (Note: This could
  also be done in the case of thinking of things in terms of a merge instead
  of a move but it wouldn't be as needed as most upstreams will simply
  work out of the box if default values are used for both the package providing
  the file in /{bin,sbin,[...]} ) and the package using those files.
  * Possibly create an exception list to go along with either of these
    alternatives.  For instance, I know someone mentioned moving the dynamic loader
    out of /lib{,64} would be an extraordinarily bad idea (OTOH, I don't think
    rpm dependencies embed the fully pathed dynamic linker so this may not be
    a concern).

FPC alternatives if FESCo were to decide that UsrMove was a mistake and
should be reverted:

* FPC would remove the prohibition from packages listing files in
  /{bin,sbin,[...]}
  * Guidelines would be checked to be sure that references to
    programs used the correct path.

-Toshio