F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

John.Florian at dart.biz John.Florian at dart.biz
Tue Jul 16 19:45:46 UTC 2013

> From: h.reindl at thelounge.net
>
> i am *strictly* against all this truncate and autopaging and for
> me "GIT does the same" is no argument - a mistake is not better
> because others do the same.............
>
> if i want paging i do " | less" or " | more"
> *this* is the unix way of work
>
> but who am i...............

While I'm no more important than the next guy, I'll defend the auto-pager
feature of both git and journalctl.  I love it, in fact.  I'm no stranger
to very long pipelines and sub-shells but I see nothing but benefit in not
having to add "| less" routinely to things that are UI in nature.  These
auto-pagers get out of the way immediately if you need a pipeline, so
what's the harm?  In fact, you can still "journalctl | less" or the like
if you really want to.

--
John Florian