F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jul 16 20:07:50 UTC 2013

Am 16.07.2013 22:02, schrieb Simo Sorce:

>>> While I'm no more important than the next guy, I'll defend the auto-pager feature of both git and journalctl.  I
>>> love it, in fact.  I'm no stranger to very long pipelines and sub-shells but I see nothing but benefit in not
>>> having to add "| less" routinely to things that are UI in nature.  These auto-pagers get out of the way immediately
>>> if you need a pipeline, so what's the harm?  In fact, you can still "journalctl | less" or the like if you really
>>> want to.
>>
>> you could also do
>> alias journalctl="journalctl | less"
>> to achive the same
>>
>> hence my konsole has scrollbars, i do not like autopaging and whatever
>> is not pure unix because there are mechs to achieve whatever you need
>> and with GIt and systemctl/journalctl whe have a inconsistent behavior
>>
>> in any case *truncate* outputs is a absolutely no-go
>>
>> the ordinary user does not look at all this things and the
>> advanced which have a reson to look get stripped informations
>
> alias journalctl='journalctl --no-pager'
> an live happy

and now explain me why i should need to set aliases for
random commands to achieve the well known default which
has any over decades known unix tool?

* if you want a non-standard behavior set a alias
* if you want the standard behavior do nothing

what here happens is make the exception to a standard

for a consistent system behavior you would need to
patch ls, cat, dir, whatever and *then* explain people
this is the standard and they need aliases for all
of them - the wrong direction my friend