F20 System Wide Change: Change Packaging Guidelines to discourage requires into /bin and /sbin

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 16 22:53:17 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 10:22:01PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> /bin/sh is *not* a bash script
> /bin/sh is *whatever* your default shell would be

Says who or what? I think we're _probably_ striving to be functionally
compatible with the Posix standard whereby 'sh' follows this specification:
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/xcu_chap02.html

That's not bash, but bash does in fact strive to be (at least mostly)
compatible when called as sh.

By that standard, by the way, the location doesn't need to be fixed at
/bin/sh. But, I think we'd be doing some seriously quixotic work to patch
everything for a pretty low return.