F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Wed Jul 17 00:25:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 10:09:19PM +0200, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> Yes, this is still the case, that plain 'systemctl' truncates unit
> names.  It's a tough choice, but in this specific case it's hard to
> find a format that would work without truncation. There are two fields
> with potentially very long values (unit name and unit description). We
> can let the second one flow in the right side, but if we left the first
> one in full width, on normal terminal width of ~100 columns, even this
> *first* column would not fit. And the truth is that the units which
> are usually truncated are the device units (they tend to have the longest
> names), and they are not the most interesting usually. So in this case
> truncation makes it much nicer to look at the interesting .service
> and .target units. Truncation has been removed from a few other places,
> but in this case it just doesn't seem feasible.

The "..." in the middle of the line makes the output completely
unusable.  On my current machine, I see 6 service units whose names are
middle-truncated (it's not just device units).  The problem is that
there's no way to scroll or adjust the terminal size to get the full
output.  I would much rather have the description field completely
omitted or at least extend off to the right (it's much less essential
than the service name anyway).

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/