F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Wed Jul 17 13:30:20 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 08:56:45AM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 02:52:40PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > >That terribly sounds like "my way or the high way".
> > >
> > >Many people have raised concerns not only about having /var/log/messages
> > >in the base installation but about needing/wanting *simple text* logs by
> > >default as well.
> > >
> > >I for one, advocate against having to use a (forced)tool to read log
> > >files.
> > So do I.
Are you also against compression of log files?

> > IMO, log files need to be readable without any special tools,
> > because log files often are being read in cases of
> > emergencies/breakdown (occasionally even from other OSes), when one
> > can not rely on the tools being available or usable.
> >
> > >  Even when you think it's better, many *do not*.
> >
> > ACK-
> >
> > Ralf
>
> Is there a way to read binary journals from non-Linux OSes?
Compiling journalctl on UINXy OSes should not be too much of a problem.
You'd need dbus >= 1.4.0, libcap, liblzma (if used by the journal files
in question). Not trivial but certainly doable.

Zbyszek
--
they are not broken. they are refucktored
                           -- alxchk