F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 13:37:32 UTC 2013

>> Engineer does not know what version of OS that server runs,
>> what is installed there and how it is configured.
>> So it needs to be investigated. Quite a typical situation.
>

> Perhaps for you but for us here on top of the world we dont grant root
access to people that cant event tell which OS and which release that OS is
running on so that's quite un-typical situation for me.

Also as a long term admin over many environments and many years ... Not
just of Linux ... The "I don't know OS" argument I agree is a straw man.

As Lennart already pointed out this isn't a standard Linux location anyway
so an off site engineer would already have the identification issue... And
it's not like a yum update in f20 would make this change happen for
existing systems...

Personally I'd love to see other applications make use of journald
facilities such as httpd and tomcat... Would simplify some of the
occasionally odd logrotate behaviour for sure...

But I guess that would be even more controversial ;-)

As to those worrying scripts will break and so on in production
environments... Well that's why you test and have to update scripts on
occasion and if you don't want to do that don't use a bleeding edge distro
but rather something like rhel, CentOS, scili etc instead...

I personally love journald (and systemd) on my laptop and am looking
forward to it arriving in EL soonish...