F20 Self Contained Change: Remove deprecated calls of using ntpdate in favor of ntpd

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Jul 17 14:17:10 UTC 2013

On Jul 17, 2013, at 8:10 AM, Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net> wrote:

> Once upon a time, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> said:
>> b. A default installation of Fedora 18/19, has no means of updating the RTC correctly if it's off by more than 15 minutes; and 60 minutes with newer kernels. An RTC wrong by more than an hour, e.g. two months ago, if I have an internet connection chrony sets the system clock to the correct date/time. If I don't have an internet connection, I'm relegated to a system time based on the wrong RTC, which seems grossly broken to me.
>
> Well, if your clock is wrong, and you don't have an Internet connection,
> what else can be done?  I don't understand your complaint here.

I expect, when I have an internet connection, and system clock is set correctly that something sets the RTC correctly too. That isn't done. Right now the RTC is never set correctly unless I manually do it with hwclock.

>> c. Windows and OS X do not behave this way - almost immediately upon getting correct time from an internet source, those OS's update the RTC to the correct time.
>
> Do they do that in a secure fashion?  Jumping the clock also has
> consequences.

It jumps the system clock which is used in deference to the RTC by all things anyway. Since the system clock change is assumed to be secure I don't see why changing the RTC to match the system clock is a problem.

Chris Murphy