F20 System Wide Change: Change Packaging Guidelines to discourage requires into /bin and /sbin

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jul 17 12:24:57 UTC 2013

Am 17.07.2013 14:14, schrieb Richard W.M. Jones:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 10:32:15AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> libguestfs-tools-c-1:1.23.8-5.fc20.x86_64,/bin/vi
>
> Fixed (in git).  What I don't understand is why this didn't give a
> broken dependency?  I must have installed this package hundreds of
> times on dozens of systems, and I've never seen it complain about
> /bin/vi being missing/broken/not available.

it happens only if the other package get updated as well as
"Requires: /usr/sbin/ldconfig" only hit you due a glibc-update
which does only "Provides: /sbin/ldconfig" and this is satisfied
by the symlinks on the rootfs because *both* exists, but it makes
troubles on updates of the packages which provides the other way

that is why the unfinished UsrMove is such a unpredictable thing