F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Wed Jul 17 15:37:10 UTC 2013

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013, John.Florian at dart.biz wrote:

> > From: m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
> >
> > On Wed, 17 Jul 2013, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >
> > > "cat /var/log/messages" becomes "journalctl"
> > > "tail -f /var/log/messages" becomes "journalctl -f"
> > > "tail -n100 /var/log/messages" becomes "journalctl -n100"
> > > "grep foobar /var/log/messages" becomes "journalctl | grep foobar"
> > >
> > > This isn't complex. You can grep/sed/awk as much as you want. You just
> > > do it over the output of journalctl rather than teh file. That's not
> > > that big a difference.
> >
> > One thing you have missed is how you edit the log file. There may be cases
> > where you want to strip out log entries, eg. when a process has gone wild
> > and swamped the useful messages with useless ones and you want to keep the
> > useful ones and throw away the useless ones.
>

> I used to do something like this with vim ":g/NOISE/d" until I could see the
> detail I wanted when the alternations for grep would have been tremendously
> long.  With journalctl's built-in filtering capabilities I'm glad I don't
> have to do that anymore; it's way more concise.  However, all use cases
> differ, so if you must, you can:  "journalctl | vim -".  YMMV with other
> editors though.

That isn't a complete solution though because you may want to remove the
bad logs completely to free up the space they are taking up. Of course you
may have already lost all the interesting logs by this point with
journald anyway because they have been overwritten.

That leads me to ask another question, how well does journald cope with
keeping certain logs long term? The classic syslog way of doing this is to
send them to a separate file, then use logrotate to compress them once
they have been rotated. Is there any equivalent with journald? Compressing
may be necessary due to the quantity of logs required.

 	Michael Young