F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Wed Jul 17 16:18:54 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 12:09:14PM -0400, John.Florian at dart.biz wrote:
> > From: notting at redhat.com

> /usr/sbin/sshd”.
> > >
> > > Yes, but that's of little help with applications using interpreted
> > > languages (e.g., python).  I want to match on the name of the python
> > > program, not python itself.
> >
> > journalctl _COMM=<blah> works for me on F19.
> >

> As it does for me, but somewhere it got clipped that what I was
> asking/wishing for was a convenient -C option (like ps) to do just this,
This surely could be done. But maybe it would be better to make
'journalctl /path/to/program' smarter, so that it would look at _COMM when
program is not an executable. This way things would work automagically.

> much like -u equates to _SYSTEMD_UNIT.
Just to clear up potential confusion: -u is *not* equivalent to _SYSTEMD_UNIT.
You can show the match by looking at the (stricly unofficial) debug output:
$ SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug journalctl -u XXXXX |& grep 'Journal filter'

Journal filter: ((OBJECT_SYSTEMD_UNIT=XXXXX.service AND _UID=0) OR (UNIT=XXXXX.service AND _PID=1) OR (COREDUMP_UNIT=XXXXX.service AND _UID=0 AND MESSAGE_ID=fc2e22bc6ee647b6b90729ab34a250b1) OR _SYSTEMD_UNIT=XXXXX.service)

The output is still authoritative, but you get more than just messages
originating from the unit.

Zbyszek
--
they are not broken. they are refucktored
                           -- alxchk