F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Wed Jul 17 17:03:04 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 04:24:01AM +0200, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

> > The "..." in the middle of the line makes the output completely
> > unusable.
> That might be a bit of an exagerration, no?

If I run "systemctl" and see that "console-k...tem-start.service" or
"fedora-st...init-late.service" exited, I have no way to use that
information.  If I try to run "systemctl status
console-k...tem-start.service", I get "Loaded: error (Reason: No such
file or directory)".  I've also had many times where I tried to search
(with "/somestring") for a service I knew part of the name of and failed
to find it because the middle of the service name was truncated.  I now
completely avoid running "systemctl" without arguments because the
truncation has made the command, to me, unreliable and useless.  So, no,
it's not an exaggeration.

Which isn't to say that systemctl is unusable, just systemctl without
arguments.

> Hey, it's pretty straighforward code in
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/systemctl/systemctl.c#n314.
> If you can design a better way to split available columns, go for it.

The output of "systemctl list-unit-files" is very usable, with no
truncation of the most important text.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/